Today we sadly had to say goodbye to our great friend and family member, our Golden Retriever Max. Over 13 years old, Max was never not a puppy at heart, but over the last few months his arthritis in his back had gotten worse. Last night he suddenly got sick and this morning passed away peacefully with Dakota at his side.
We knew this day would come, but it always hurts when they leave us. A few fun facts about Max:
- Max was a pure-bred Golden Retriever
- In Jennie’s divorce Max was court-ordered to remain in our sole custody
- One of his many nicknames was “Boo Bear”
- He obsessed constantly about tennis balls and had a special game he played with them which we dubbed “Boo Bear Ball” (so much so that the little ones refer to tennis balls as boo bear balls)
- He was flexible and would spread his legs backwards like a frog
- He didn’t like to camp much but loved being outside
- He was extremely protective of the kids when they were young, allowing them to stumble on top of him as they learned to walk – several times he provided soft landings and never growled once at them
- During hot weather Max would love to sleep in the bathtub, sometimes surprising the first person up in the morning
Max was a wonderful dog and will always be remembered for the fun times he provided us and the joyous times spent with him. We have two dogs now: Socks an unknown mixed breed (blue heeler, German Shepard perhaps) and Arizona a mix of Doberman and Greyhound.