The Migratory Bird Conservation Commission (MBCC) was created in 1929 by the passage of the Migratory Bird Conservation Act. The purpose of the MBCC is to consider and approve land and/or water areas recommended by the Secretary of the Interior for purchase or rental by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service under the Act.
Forster’s Tern at Horicon Marsh NWR
There are eight members on the Commission, four of which are members of Congress. The most recently appointed member was Wayne Gilchrest (R-MD) on September 25, 2007.
Since the Commission’s establishment, over 4 million acres have been acquired by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service by fee purchase, easement, or lease with monies from the Migratory Bird Conservation Fund. These funds are allocated at the Secretary’s discretion as delegated to the Director of the Fish and Wildlife Service.
Sources of Funding For the Migratory Bird Conservation Fund
- Sale of Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamps, commonly known as Duck Stamps
- Appropriations authorized by the Wetlands Loan Act of October 4, 1961, as amended
- Import duties collected on arms and ammunition
- Receipts from the sale of refuge admission permits as provided for by the Emergency Wetlands Resources Act of 1986
The Fund is further supplemented by receipts from the sale of products from rights-of-way across national wildlife refuges, disposals of refuge land, and reverted Federal Aid funds.