Over the weekend we decided to have a little party that centered around poker, board games, and a delicious supper. We purchased some bison meat from a local butcher in Winnebago county and decided it would be a great time to see what some of our friends thought our very own Birdfreak Bison Bacon CheeseburgerÂ®.
But before we describe what makes up this burger, a little bit about what bison can mean to bird conservation. Much of the prairies that once covered Illinois and the Great Plains have been plowed over, making way for agriculture and cities. Bison farming could offer something quite different from “traditional” beef cow farms.
Bison are naturally adapted to native prairie/grasslands and thus are part of this ecosystem. Birds and other wildlife have lived alongside bison for thousands of years and to restore this relationship would allow for the restoration of the habitat.
So, it is our belief that if we promote bison as an alternative to beef (or other farm animals) than the demand will drive for more bison farming and more prairie conservation.
So what makes up a Birdfreak Bison Bacon CheeseburgerÂ®?
- bison patty (most likely called “buffalo”) [bison meat is lean, healthy, and full of protein]
- lean bacon
- cheddar cheese (2-yr aged from Eickman’s in Seward, IL)
- bakery-style hamburger bun
- organic tomato
- organic romaine lettuce
- Step One: Cook bacon and bison patty
- Step Two: Place bison, cold cheese, and bacon on bun – heat in
overoven on wax-paper lined pan at 400 degrees until bun crisps and cheese melts
- Step Three: Prepare avocado by scooping out the inside and making a paste (no extra seasoning added)
- Step Four: Spread avocado paste on top half of bun, add lettuce and tomato and any other condiments as desired
- Step Five: Garnish with large garlic-stuffed green olives
- Step Six: Eat and enjoy!
The burger turned out well and everyone enjoyed it. The overall score out of 10 points was an 8.8
The overall opinion was that the burgers were filling but not heavy like fast food or even traditional beef burgers. If you haven’t tried one, a Birdfreak Bison Bacon CheeseburgerÂ® is great for a cookout, family reunion, or just an easy supper after a long day of work.