The new Swarovski EL binoculars are out and they are, in a word, unbelievable. In a fantasy world where warbler fallouts happen every day, Black and Yellow Rails take model poses seven feet from you, and the sun is always at the perfect viewing angle, these are the sort of bins you’d have. The good news is these are for real and this is not a dream!
The new Swarovski ELs have “Swarovision” which from using them in the field essentially means “awesome-super-enhanced-vision”. Swarovski’s highly advanced technology, all found in these new bins, consists of the following:
- SWAROVISION: field flattener corrective lenses for unmatched peripheral focus
- SWAROCLEAN: special coating that makes cleaning off dirt, dust, water marks, insect repellents, tree resin, etc. easy and effective
- SWAROBRIGHT: coating for maximum color fidelity over entire light spectrum
The binoculars work exceptionally well in low and bad lighting and even through glass. I spotted a Horned Grebe way across a lake, through the windshield (near the edge) and was spot on. I love this because I often bird from the kitchen windows which have quite a bit of imperfections in the glass.
The view is sharp throughout the entire field of vision. You won’t lose quality at the edges!!
I brought the new ELs in to show bird club members and the universal response wasn’t a phrase or superlative adjective but just big smiles. Of course, this quality comes at a high price. But you’ll be hard pressed to find a disappointed Swarovski user. And once you try out the new ELs you’ll be hooked!
The new Swarovski ELs have a close focus of just under 5 feet; the focus is smooth throughout whether you are watching raptors in the clouds or a hummingbird at your feeder.
The new Swarovski Optik ELs come in two sizes:
- Swarovski Optik EL Swarovision Binocular, 8.5×42 mm—8.5x magnification, field of view of 399 ft/1000 yds
- Swarovski Optik EL Swarovision Binocular, 10×42 mm—10x magnification, field of view of 336 ft/1000 yds